Origin of name "Ga La Moen"?
From: Bartlett, Jennifer (jen.bartlettuky.edu)
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 07:18:48 -0700 (PDT)
Good morning, all -

Here's a question that has the UK librarians stumped. We'd appreciate any help!

I have no idea if you are the person that might can help me but maybe you can.
I am trying to research the origin of a name.  My grandmother has told me that
she was named after a character in a book that my great grandmother read and
liked.  Sadly, we have no idea what book it could have been.  Do you have
suggestions/ideas how to go about looking for the name "La Moen" or "Ga La
Moen" from a book published before the 1930's? I have done some quick googling
with no success.  Likely this is a needle in a hay stack, but maybe you have
some ideas for me.

We've already searched the New Century Cyclopedia of Names, NYT Historical
Index, Reader's Guide, Social Security Death Index (to see if we could find
anyone else with the name); top books of 1930's, book character names online
and good ol' Google. Also:

http://www.behindthename.com/namesakes/list/fictional-books/alpha
http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/bib/lost/novels.html
http://experimental.worldcat.org/xfinder/fictionfinder.html
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/archives.html

Any ideas of where else we could look?

Thank you!
Jen

Jennifer A. Bartlett * Head of Reference Services & The Hub at W.T.'s
English and Linguistics Academic Liaison
University of Kentucky Libraries  *  2-31 William T. Young Library
Lexington, KY  40506-0456 * 859-218-1236
jen.bartlett [at] uky.edu<mailto:jen.bartlett [at] uky.edu>  *
http://works.bepress.com/jenbartlett

[150_logo]