Recip Ref Conf Call Notes, Status Update
From: John Burger (jburgeraserl.org)
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 12:22:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks:

Attached are the notes from our conference call last month.  Apologies for the delay in getting these drafted.  Please let me know if I missed anything significant.

SUMMARY:  See http://bit.ly/1g5qr0o for the current spreadsheet of titles that have been selected for retention. These titles will be retained through December 31, 2020.  When assistance with a retained print title is needed, the librarian at the requesting library should contact the Head of Reference at the retaining library with the question; the AUL for Collections will serve as back-up contact.  Participating libraries agree to respond to all questions within 5 business days.  I am drafting an MOU for the Committee to review.

STATUS:  To date, Auburn, Clemson, UNC Greensboro, USF, and UVA have adopted titles for retention, with Auburn offering to retain the most titles (by far) at this point -- I am sure Auburn would welcome some relief.  The other participants (Florida State, UAB, U-Kentucky, VCU, U-Alabama, U-Mississippi, and Johns Hopkins) have not yet adopted titles for retention under this program.  If each library agreed to retain 4 titles, that might be an equal division of labor -- at least at the title level.

The following titles need a library to adopt them.

REFERENCE TITLES NEEDING AN ADOPTING LIBRARY

1. Applied science & technology index.

2. Biological Abstracts

3. Business periodicals index.

4. Contemporary Authors (Gale Series)

5. Contemporary Authors -New Revised Series

6. Essay and General Literature Index

7. Index to IEEE periodicals.

8. Quarterly Cumulative Index Medicus

9. Science abstracts. Series C, Control abstracts.

10. Thomas Register

11. Twentieth Century American Literature (Gale Series)

12. Twentieth Century Criticism of British and American Literature to 1904

13. Wall Street Journal Index

14. Zoological Record

NEXT STEPS / ACTION ITEMS

·         Participating libraries will endeavor to adopt those titles that remain unclaimed – see http://bit.ly/1g5qr0o.

·         Anne Houston will ask a Grad Assistant to research this info for each title and add the end dates to the spreadsheet.

·         John Burger will draft an MOU for the Committee to review.

·         John will create a webpage to document this agreement.

·         John will investigate whether a note can be added to the local cataloging record (MARC 583 field?) for each retained title as a back-up

   Box 90182  /  411 Chapel Drive

   125 Bostock Library

   Durham, NC 27708

   919-681-2531 – telephone