Print Sets for "adoption" by Reciprocal-Reference libraries
From: John Burger (jburgeraserl.org)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 08:43:36 -0800 (PST)

Recip-Reference Colleagues:

As we agreed during our last conference call, linked below is the spreadsheet with the print reference titles we are considering as the focus of the first phase of this pilot program.  The consensus was that participating libraries would agree to retain specified reference titles in print, and respond to requests for research assistance from librarians at other participating schools.  Agreement would be loosely structured at first, but would stipulate responses would be provided within 5 business days.  I am drafting an MOU for the group to review as part of our next call in early February.

The list can be found at:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AngLQbatEygidGxYeENxdlZHRXpsWUdTbHNZd3hvbmc&usp=sharing

Please review the list with the following questions in mind:

1.       Which Recip-Ref library is willing to retain each title?  (UNC Greensboro and Clemson had agreed to retain some titles under the journal retention project -- those are noted here.  I would understand if they want to re-visit the list in light of the additional service agreement contained in the Recip-Ref program.)

2.       Which of these titles need more than one copy to be retained? (And who will retain them?)

3.       What other titles (if any) should be retained under this agreement?

I propose that the retention agreement be through 2020 (~6 years), as it coincides with the timing of the Program Review for the Scholars Trust program.  Does that make sense?

TBD – What “escape clause” seems workable for this project, if a library cannot fulfill its retention agreement?  The escape clause in Scholars Trust requires an exiting library to provide 24 months’ notice.  I’m not sure if that is workable or necessary for this program, but want your input on that question as well.

Please let me know if you encounter difficulties with the Google Spreadsheet.  Thanks for your continued suport as we find out way through these uncharted waters.  J

   Box 90182  /  411 Chapel Drive

   125 Bostock Library

   Durham, NC 27708

   919-681-2531 – telephone