Seeking volunteers: Review BTAA Guidelines for Sharing Special Collections via ILL
From: John Burger (jburgeraserl.org)
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2018 09:00:53 -0700 (PDT)

ASERL Friends:

You may recall that we offered a webinar on June 4 (https://vimeo.com/273350738) about initiatives within the Big Ten Academic Alliance (BTAA) and Ivy Plus Libraries group to share special collections materials via inter-library loan. We have been particularly interested in the BTAA Principles and Protocols for Inter-library Loan of Special Collections Materials (https://www.btaa.org/library/reciprocal-borrowing/special-collections. The ASERL Special Collections co-chairs and ASERL dean/directors have considered the idea and there has been a strong _expression_ of interest and support.

ASERL and WRLC are forming a Study Group to review the BTAA guidelines and (hopefully) offer a recommendation to our respective Boards and membership to endorse/adopt them as part of our resource sharing practices. The desired goal is to make the special collections within our consortia more accessible to researchers and scholars.

Ideally, we would like to have the ASERL Board consider a recommendation at their next meeting in late November 2018. The WRLC Library Directors Council could potentially consider any recommendation at its December 14 meeting.

HELP NEEDED:  We are seeking 3 - 4 persons within ASERL libraries who have Resource Sharing and Special Collections expertise to participate in this Study Group to review the BTAA guidelines and determine if they are workable for ASERL and WRLC.  This work would (hopefully) be complete by the end of November 2018.

WRLC's volunteers for this Study Group are:

·         Leah Richardson,  Special Collections Research, Outreach, and Instruction Librarian, George Washington University

·         Shane Hickey, Interlibrary Services Coordinator, American University

·         Leslie Nellis, Associate Archivist, American University

·         Teddy Abebe, Senior Archivist, Howard University

If you would like to volunteer or nominate someone to join this Study Group, please let me know by October 8.

Thank you!

   Tel:  404-727-0137