"Red Light, Green Light: Brainstorming how ASERL members can test a new licensing model"
From: John Burger (jburgeraserl.org)
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 06:12:21 -0700 (PDT)
ASERL Friends:

Next month ASERL will collaborate with our longtime partner Roger Schonfeld
(Ithaka S+R) and well-known ASERL leader John Ulmschneider (Virginia
Commonwealth Univ Libraries) to host an online conversation, "Red Light, Green
Light: Brainstorming how ASERL members can test a new licensing model."  We
invite interested ASERL libraries to join us for this presentation / commentary
/ discussion.

In a blog post on August 16, 2017, Roger Schonfeld proffered a draft model for
ways research libraries could design and undertake new processes to better
support their licensing activities, seeking support from others within the
library, the faculty they serve, and other units within the institution.  The
basic tenet is for libraries to define criteria for assigning which content
providers provide good value for the dollars they command in licensing fees,
and a system of assigning a red-yellow-green moniker for those who provide
poor-fair-good value or are otherwise problematic to the library and its users.

In this session, Roger will walk though his conceptual model, and ask for
audience input to identify strengths and challenges.  John Ulmschneider will
contribute his perspective on how such a model can support the work of research
libraries and invite participation from others within the university community.
 Ideally one or more ASERL libraries will be willing to serve as alpha testers
for this model in the foreseeable future.  We will conclude the discussion with
identifying other challenges faced by libraries continuing to struggle with
licensing issues, and opportunities that could mitigate some of those
difficulties.

(See http://www.sr.ithaka.org/publications/red-light-green-light-licensing/
for the original blog post.)

WEB MEETING:  "Red Light, Green Light: Brainstorming how ASERL members can test
a new licensing model"
DATE / TIME:  October 13, 2017  |  2pm ET / 1pm Central Time
REGISTER:  https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5216392509830558721

These sessions are available at no cost to ASERL members, and will be recorded
for later playback.  Please feel free to share this information with other
librarians & staff who may be interested.  Our webinars are licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
License.  After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the webinar.

about joining the webinar.  System requirements:
http://support.citrixonline.com/s/G2W/Help/SystemRequirements

 As always, our thanks for your ongoing support of ASERL.  Please let me know
any questions, or if you encounter any difficulties with our e-meeting system.