Join us for "Breaking Bad, Good or Mixed? Perspectives on exiting (and sometimes re-entering) journal package deals"
From: John Burger (jburgeraserl.org)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 06:47:38 -0700 (PDT)
ASERL Friends:

Based on conversations with various communities within ASERL, we have created a
new webinar to learn about the pros and cons of break a 'Big Deal' journal
package.  "Breaking Bad, Good or Mixed? Perspectives on exiting (and sometimes
re-entering) journal package deals" will be offered on Tuesday, October 25,
2016 at 2pm ET / 1pm Central Time.  We've secured speakers from a wide variety
of library settings to talk about their experiences in determining how to cut a
big-deal package and the fallouts once the decision was made.

Southern Illinois University at Carbondale left three Big Deals in 2009 and
2010. Jonathan Nabe is Collection Development Librarian at SIU; his analysis of
subsequent interlibrary loan trends and the collection budget demonstrates the
validity of these decisions as well as the inflated assessment of Big Deals via
usage statistics. This provides hope to those on the verge of letting go.

David Fowler is a professor and collection management librarian at the
University of Oregon Libraries. His university engaged in a “Big Deal”
de-selection in 2008-2009. They now have five years of budgeting, purchasing
and statistics that add clarity to the consequences of their actions.

Prior to joining Princeton University in early 2016, Steven Knowlton served as
Collection Development Librarian at the University of Memphis for six years.
While at Memphis, the university was required to exit a Big Deal due to
increasing prices in a flat budget environment. They were able to reduce
spending by 50% while projecting only a 12% decrease in article downloads by
using an innovative metric that takes into account Big Deal content that is
available from other sources.

Stéphanie Gagnon is the Head of Collections for the Université de Montréal’s
library network. After unbundling their Wiley Online Library in 2014, under
Stéphanie’s guidance the university undertook a large-scale analysis of their
periodical collection. They worked with their community to determine a
methodology to perform the analysis and identify core periodicals that are most
valued by users. They now have a tool to understand the specific contribution
of each title, to fix the fair price that should be made available for each of
them, and to decide whether they should renew or unbundle the deals they have.
Stéphanie will focus on the methodology, the global results of the analysis,
and the impact these data have on vendor negotiations.

Danianne Mizzy (UNC Chapel Hill) will co-moderate the session with ASERL's John
Burger.

WEBINAR:  "Breaking Bad, Good or Mixed? Perspectives on exiting (and sometimes
re-entering) journal package deals"
DATE:  Tuesday, Oct 25, 2016   |  2pm ET / 1pm Central Time
REGISTER:  https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/391536466988196612

As always, these sessions are available at no cost to ASERL members, and will
be recorded for later playback.  Please feel free to share this information
with other librarians & staff at ASERL institutions.  Our webinars are licensed
under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
License. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the webinar.

System requirements to attend this webinar:
http://support.citrixonline.com/webinar/all_files/G2W010003

We hope you find this session to be of interest.  Please let me know if you
encounter any difficulties with our e-meeting system.

Thank you.

--jeb

John Burger, Executive Director

NOTE:  ASERL has moved!  Our new address & telephone number are:
   ASERL
   ℅ Robert W. Woodruff Library
   540 Asbury Circle, Suite 316
   Atlanta, GA  30322-1006