[aserl_coll_assess] New URL for 'Civil War in American South'
From: John Burger (jburgeraserl.org)
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 13:57:00 -0800 (PST)
ASERL Friends:

In 2011, ASERL launched its first shared online collection, "Civil War in the
American South."  The site initially was housed on servers at UGA, but then
largely transitioned to DPLA when it came online.  After discussion with our
partners, in December 2020 ASERL decided not to renew the AmericanSouth.org
domain name - it was receiving near-zero traffic, as users have been accessing
the content via DPLA rather than our portal.

Cancelling the domain name seemed like a no-brainer decision at the time.
But... in the past few weeks someone has purchased our 'old' domain name and
launched an online gambling site.  It's definitely not us, and there is nothing
we can do about this - we no longer own the domain.

HOWEVER, if your library had links pointing to our old domain, please be sure
to update them to american-south.galileo.usg.edu.  Note that this site will be
taken down sometime in the next year to complete the transition to DPLA.

Apologies if anyone got waylaid by the change in web addresses.  Please let me
know any questions.

Thank you.