[aserl_coll_assess] Worthwhile reading: "Evaluating Publishers as Partners..." post in Scholarly Kitchen
From: John Burger (jburgeraserl.org)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 08:24:55 -0800 (PST)
ASERL Friends:

If you have not seen it, I recommend you peruse a post on today's Scholarly
Kitchen written by Rachel Caldwell at the University of Tennessee.  It proposes
a framework for evaluating publishers as partners with libraries and higher
education - see
https://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2021/01/13/guest-post-evaluating-publishers-as-partners-with-libraries-and-higher-education.

Rachel's concept reminds me of the "Red Light, Green Light" idea posited by
Roger Schonfeld a few years ago - but Rachel includes much more structure in
her proposal, and has done some "what-if" scoring of different publishers.
Rachel was one of the members of a Working Group that ASERL hosted following
the Red Light/Green Light proposal; it is gratifying to see this new thinking
emerge as libraries continue to seek new and better ways to evaluate the
content they purchase in the face of limited resources.

OTHER SOURCES:
"A Provisional System to Evaluate Journal Publishers Based on Partnership
Practices and Values Shared with Academic Institutions and Libraries" - Rachel
Caldwell, May 2020. See https://doi.org/10.3390/publications8030039
"Red Light, Green Light: Aligning the Library to Support Licensing" Roger
Schonfeld, August 2017.  See https://doi.org/10.18665/sr.304419
Enjoy!