[aserl_coll_assess] ASERL-GWLA Rebuttal to USCO Study of Sovereign Immunity
From: John Burger (jburgeraserl.org)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 06:55:14 -0700 (PDT)
ASERL Friends:

You may recall in early September ASERL filed comments with the US Copyright
Office regarding their study of the impact of Sovereign Immunity status for
state-based organization in copyright lawsuits - see
http://www.aserl.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/2020_09_ASERL-USCO_Sovn-Immunity_Comments.pdf
 for the original submission.  ASERL was one of 31 commenters at the time.

A second step in the process included offering the public the chance to rebut
other comments that were offered in September.  In this round ASERL was joined
by our colleagues at the Greater Wester Library Alliance in submitting a joint
filing, which is attached here.  The Library Copyright Alliance (ARL, ACRL,
ALA) officially endorsed the ASERL-GWLA filing as well.

If you're not a copyright policy wonk, I realize some of this may be in the
weeds.  If so, take my word for it:  This is really well done, offering strong
legal points in a concise format.  ASERL offers its heartfelt thanks to Brandon
Butler (U-Virginia), Darcee Olson (Louisiana State), Kate Dickson (UNC
Charlotte), Kevin Smith (U-Kansas), and my colleagues Joni Blake and Nora
Dethloff at GWLA for tackling this complex but critically important issue on
our behalf.  I am optimistic this will help persuade USCO to conclude its
investigation without seeking substantial changes to existing law.

Have a good weekend, all!