[aserl_coll_assess] An Important Moment: ASERL-CRL Print Journal Collection Analysis
From: John Burger (jburgeraserl.org)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 07:52:09 -0700 (PDT)
ASERL Friends:

A bit of news:  During its April 15 conference call, the ASERL Board approved
expanding the CRL Collection Analysis Pilot to all 31 ASERL Scholars Trust
libraries.  The cost for CRL’s services is quite reasonable and will be covered
by ASERL’s Opportunity Fund.

BACKGROUND
As you may recall, we have been working with CRL and six ASERL/CRL member
libraries since January 2018 to pilot this service.  Our thanks to the pilot
libraries:
• Emory University
• University of Alabama
• University of Florida
• University of South Carolina
• University of Tennessee-Knoxville
• Virginia Tech

Our desired outcomes for the pilot were realized:  The analysis identified
areas of overlap, completeness of holdings, and collection subject strengths of
the serials collections from the six pilot libraries.  The analysis also
included a comparison of the pilot libraries’ holdings against all holdings in
OCLC WorldCat  as an indication of titles that are more widely-held, and those
that are unique/scarce materials.  For more information about the pilot, please
visit the http://www.aserl.org/crl-collection-analysis-pilot/ webpage.

NEXT STEPS
ASERL Scholars Trust libraries will be asked to provide data files for all
print serial titles owned by the library, with a submission deadline of July 1,
2019.  Instructions for preparing and submitting data will be provided soon.
We expect to receive initial data back from CRL in (month?), with several
months of analysis to follow.

AN IMPORTANT MOMENT
This is an important point in the lifespan of Scholars Trust as a collaborative
endeavor.  We will gain a greater understanding of the scope of serials
holdings among all ASERL Scholars Trust libraries which will inform decisions
about collection growth for both Scholars Trust and our participation in the
Rosemont Shared Print Alliance.   Having information about how your library
reflects the collective collection within ASERL is valuable data to have, for
numerous purposes.

If your library is not currently participating in Scholars Trust, we urge you
to CONSIDER THE BENEFITS OF JOINING THE PROGRAM NOW, before the analysis is
conducted.  Please contact Cheryle Cole-Bennett me for more information about
requirements of participation, a sample of the MOU to memorialize your
participation commitment, etc.

   Tel:  404-727-0137

Find me on Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ASERLJEB ;