Re: [aserl_coll_assess] Comics for academic collections?
From: Corbett, Lauren (corbetlewfu.edu)
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 06:51:53 -0800 (PST)
Jane,

Mainly I buy whatever supports the current curriculum. I started buying
French graphic novels for our collection a few years ago after I saw a
senior French major present a comparative literature paper she had written
that covered a good dozen of them. She had picked up on them while studying
in France. This past fall I bought a couple of big sets for a French
professor to put onto reserve for a class. I've bought a few in other
languages too.

I use the same selection methods for these as I do for everything --
primarily match to curriculum, utilize vendor catalog features (like
Amalivre's stars, as you mentioned), and I look at unfamiliar authors in
WorldCat Identities to get a context -- although this doesn't work as well
for graphic novels as it does for general fiction because usually there is
less info and there are fewer works and fewer library holdings to help me
judge the relative importance. Often the areas at the bottom of the result
page for an author are the most useful. Try looking at the page for Goscinny
<http://www.worldcat.org/identities/lccn-n50034712/>, author of the Asterix
comics.

We've also been expanding our English language graphic novels and shelve
them in a browsing area. (Foreign language graphic novels are in the
regular stacks.) Circulation rates with students are good and we have a
graphic novel book club now.

I asked the catalogers to make sure there is a 655 (genre) with "graphic
novels" so you can easily pull them up in our catalog.
<https://find.zsr.wfu.edu/Search/Results?lookfor=%22Graphic+novels.%22&type=Subject&filter%5B%5D=genre_facet%3A%22Graphic+novels%22>

Lauren

PS I remember Asterix being used with some of my French classes back in the
'80s!
--
Lauren Corbett
Director of Resource Services, Z. Smith Reynolds Library