[aserl_coll_assess] WEBINAR: "Outreach and Community Engagement in Special Collections" on Jan 16
From: John Burger (jburgeraserl.org)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 06:16:50 -0800 (PST)
ASERL Friends:

As part of our expanding programming for Special Collections librarians, we are
offering a new webinar, "Outreach and Community Engagement in Special
Collections," on January 16.

Community engagement has become increasingly important for those who work in
special collections and archives. These activities attempt to bridge the divide
and perceived remoteness between special collections and archival repositories
and their immediate or regional communities. Listen and learn from two leaders
in community engagement as they discuss how to give users agency in the growth
of archives and special collections and a stake in representing their
communities.

Lynn Eaton, the Director of the Special Collections Research Center at George
Mason University, will discuss her work with donors and campus and local
communities to broaden knowledge and interest in their historical materials as
well as her work with local activists while at James Madison University.

Cristina Favretto, the Head of Special Collections at the University of Miami
will discuss working with diverse populations in a vibrant artistic atmosphere
as the University of Miami attempts to document the many sides of Miami – from
the “Floribbean” cuisine to Miami’s hybrid music scene and the glamour of Art
Basel Miami. Favretto will also discuss how to involve different constituencies
in a constantly changing environment.

WEBINAR:  Outreach and Community Engagement in Special Collections
DATE / TIME:  January 16, 2019  |  2pm ET / 1pm Central Time
REGISTER:  https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5172344984471236609

These sessions are available at no cost to ASERL members and guests, and will
be recorded for later playback.  Please feel free to share this information
with other librarians & staff who may be interested.  Our webinars are licensed
under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
License.  After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the webinar.  System Requirements:

We hope this proves to be of interest.  Please let me know any questions or if
you encounter difficulties with our e-meeting system.  Thanks!

   Atlanta, GA  30322-1006

   Tel:  404-727-0137

Follow ASERL on Facebook:  http://on.fb.me/Ziuz2a
Find me on Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ASERLJEB