[aserl_coll_assess] RE-SCHEDULED: ASERL Digital Scholarship Show & Tell #4: Florida International Univ & University of South Florida
From: John Burger (jburgeraserl.org)
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 08:49:52 -0800 (PST)
<The webinar that had been scheduled earlier this week and was canceled due to
speaker illness is now re-scheduled for December 19.  See below for details.>

WEBINAR:  ASERL Digital Scholarship Show & Tell #4: Florida International Univ
& University of South Florida
DATE / TIME:  December 19, 2018  |   2pm ET / 1pm Central Time
REGISTER:  https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5159642326631478530

In this session we will learn about Digital Scholarship activities led by the
libraries at Florida International University and University of South Florida.

Florida International University Libraries have been serving its students and
faculty in GIS and Visualization since 1998. In recent years, the Library-based
GIS Center, joined by the Digital Collection Center, has expanded its service
to digital scholarship for all STEM fields and the humanities. A
newly-established Digital Scholar Studio consists not only of state-of-the-art
laboratories but also a robust cloud computing environment, advanced
digitization equipment, data caption and acquisition tools (e.g. 3D and LiDAR
Scanners, Drone, VR cameras, etc.) and a wide variety of supporting software.
This presentation will cover a brief history of the development of the
library's GIS Center, Digital Collection Center, and Digital Scholar Studio,
their teaching, research and service activities, and a showcase of research and
student projects that have sprouted out of the fertile soil of these resources.

Barbara Lewis from University of South Florida Libraries will describe
different online applications that can be employed to deliver engaging and
well-researched online exhibits, digital stories, and presentations that
inspire the imagination of the creator and the viewer. She will demonstrate
several tools (i.e., Omeka, Scalar, Story Maps, Tiki-Toki, Sway, Spark) used to
build different versions of the same exhibit and how these contrasting versions
illustrate to faculty and students how the same content can be presented in a
variety of ways. The presentation will conclude with specific examples of how
these tools were used to transform traditional paper-based assignments into
multimedia web-based projects, developed in collaboration with faculty, and to
provide digital/media literacy instruction.

These sessions are available at no cost to ASERL members and guests, and will
be recorded for later playback.  Please feel free to share this information
with other librarians & staff who may be interested.  Our webinars are licensed
under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
License.  After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the webinar.

about joining the webinar.  System Requirements:

We hope this proves to be of interest.  Please let me know any questions or if
you encounter difficulties with our e-meeting system.  Thanks!