[aserl_coll_assess] ASERL Digital Scholarship Show & Tell #4: Florida International Univ & University of South Florida
From: John Burger (jburgeraserl.org)
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2018 13:44:13 -0700 (PDT)
ASERL Friends:

On November 13 we will offer the next in our series of Digital Scholarship Show
& Tell webinars.  In this session we will learn about Digital Scholarship
activities led by the libraries at Florida International University and
University of South Florida.

Florida International University Libraries have been serving its students and
faculty in GIS and Visualization since 1998. In recent years, the Library-based
GIS Center, joined by the Digital Collection Center, has expanded its service
to digital scholarship for all STEM fields and the humanities. A
newly-established Digital Scholar Studio consists not only of state-of-the-art
laboratories but also a robust cloud computing environment, advanced
digitization equipment, data caption and acquisition tools (e.g. 3D and LiDAR
Scanners, Drone, VR cameras, etc.) and a wide variety of supporting software.
This presentation will cover a brief history of the development of the
library's GIS Center, Digital Collection Center, and Digital Scholar Studio,
their teaching, research and service activities, and a showcase of research and
student projects that have sprouted out of the fertile soil of these resources.

Barbara Lewis from University of South Florida Libraries will describe
different online applications that can be employed to deliver engaging and
well-researched online exhibits, digital stories, and presentations that
inspire the imagination of the creator and the viewer. She will demonstrate
several tools (i.e., Omeka, Scalar, Story Maps, Tiki-Toki, Sway, Spark) used to
build different versions of the same exhibit and how these contrasting versions
illustrate to faculty and students how the same content can be presented in a
variety of ways. The presentation will conclude with specific examples of how
these tools were used to transform traditional paper-based assignments into
multimedia web-based projects, developed in collaboration with faculty, and to
provide digital/media literacy instruction.

WEBINAR:  ASERL Digital Scholarship Show & Tell #4: Florida International Univ
& University of South Florida DATE / TIME:  November 13, 2018  |  2pm ET / 1pm
Central Time
REGISTER:  https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/115096171384609282

These sessions are available at no cost to ASERL members and guests, and will
be recorded for later playback.  Please feel free to share this information
with other librarians & staff who may be interested.  Our webinars are licensed
under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
License.  After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the webinar.

about joining the webinar.  System Requirements:

We hope this proves to be of interest.  Please let me know any questions or if
you encounter difficulties with our e-meeting system.  Thanks!

Association of Southeastern Research Libraries (ASERL) c/o Robert W. Woodruff
Library