HELP WANTED: ASERL Collection Assessment Interest Group
From: John Burger (jburgeraserl.org)
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 05:52:08 -0700 (PDT)

ASERL Friends:

You may recall that in May 2018 the ASERL Board of Directors tasked me with developing a new 'charge' statement to re-focus our longstanding Collection Development Interest Group more specifically on Collection Assessment.  Over the summer, we recruited volunteers (see below) to help with drafting the following new charge for this group, as follows:

“The ASERL Collection Assessment Interest Group will support the identification of best practices for analyzing how library collections contribute to their university’s mission, enhance research excellence, and drive student success.  The group will identify opportunities to leverage the knowledge and talents in ASERL libraries and to facilitate the sharing of qualitative and quantitative measurements of collection impact.”

We anticipate conducting an environmental scan and developing a series of activities that are similar to our Scholarly Communications Interest Group:  to foster a new community of practice, including new webinars, an unconference, and focused discussion groups.

Liz Siler (UNC Charlotte) was a co-chair of the former Collection Development Interest Group and she will continue to serve as co-chair for the new group through June 30, 2019.  We are now seeking another volunteer to work with Liz and me to implement these new activities.

The new Co-Chairs will serve a (nearly) two-year term, concluding in June 2020.  He/she will work with us to establish priorities for the coming year and review emerging issues/opportunities as they arise.

Desired skills/expertise

  *  Effective at fostering a sense of community across remote locations

  *  Well-connected & current:  Very current on emerging issues in their area of collection assessment

  *  Availability to contribute 2 - 3 hours per month to this volunteer activity

  *  Willing to contact people inside/outside ASERL to serve as webinar speakers

  *  Experience in planning unconferences / similar events is desirable

  *  Familiarity with basic webpage editing tools (WordPress) to help monitor/maintain the relevant webpages

Anyone interested in working on these initiatives are asked to submit their names and brief professional background to me by October 15, 2018.  Self-nominations are encouraged.  The final selection will be made by the ASERL Board during their November 5 conference call.

Last but not least:  Our thanks to those who served on the Task Force that drafted the charge for this new work!

   Skye Hardesty, Georgia State University

   Jay Forrest, Georgia Tech

   Jane Pinzino, Tulane

   Peggy Kain, UAB

   Kirill Tolpygo, UNC Chapel Hill

   Liz Siler, UNC Charlotte

   Christine Fischer, UNC Greensboro

   Tara Cataldo, University of Florida

   Antje Mays, University of Kentucky

   Brian Young, University of Mississippi

   Paul Cammarata, University of South Carolina

   Molly Royse, University of Tennessee

   Ellie Kohler, Virginia Tech

Thanks, y'all, for considering this request.  Please let me know any questions.  We look forward to maintaining the positive momentum into the next program year.