FW: 2018 LLAMA Career Institute: Sustainable Libraries
From: John Burger (jburgeraserl.org)
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 04:39:25 -0700 (PDT)
FYI -- Helping to spread the word for our colleagues who work with LLAMA.
Please share with others as desired.

WORKSHOP:  "Creating the Sustainable Public Library: The Triple Bottom Line
Approach"
Friday, June 22, 12:30 to 4pm Central Time
In conjunction with the American Library Association 2018 Annual Conference in
New Orleans.

Participants will:
• Understand the three facets of sustainability and why they are important to
the long-term success of libraries;
• Be able to articulate the 12 steps of sustainability;
• Apply their sustainability knowledge to their own library’s situation;
• Learn to identify how to improve organizational sustainability/survivability
for their institution
• Contrast and compare their library’s sustainability efforts to date with
those presented in the workshop, as well as create a beginning plan for their
library
• Estimate the impact of their library’s sustainability efforts going forward.

Much of Dr. Gary Shaffer's career was spent in public libraries; he is
currently Director of the Master or Management in Library and Information
Science at University of Southern California's Marshall School of Business.  He
aims to make this presentation broadly applicable to multiple types of
libraries—not just public libraries. He was a panelist at the LLAMA MidWinter
institute in Denver, where he was described as insightful and engaging; his
answers were broadly applicable.   His view on sustainability transcends
environmental sustainability to address the sustained health of our
organizations.  This includes how we tell our stories to both our constituents
and funders, whether those be the public, students, academic administrators, or
city government officials.

Registration: $165 for LLAMA Members; $215 for ALA members; $95 for Students
and Retired Members; and $315 for Non-Members.
Register online: http://2018.alaannual.org/registration/ticketed-events#LLAMA.
This takes you to “Ticketed Events” on the ALA Annual site; then search for
LLAMA Institute (Event Code: LLA1).