ASERL Digital Scholarship Show & Tell webinar #1: George Mason Univ & UNC Greensboro
From: John Burger (jburgeraserl.org)
Date: Thu, 3 May 2018 07:49:30 -0700 (PDT)

ASERL Friends:

Next month, we will kick off a new webinar series, learning about the ways
ASERL libraries are supporting Digital Scholarship efforts on their campuses.
First up:  George Mason University and UNC Greensboro, on June 6.  We have a
few others in the queue, and hope our initial sessions will inspire other ASERL
members to volunteer to present about their efforts in the future.  (<--
Contact me if you'd like to volunteer!)

The first webinar in the series will review where GMU's & UNCG's efforts
started, how they got to where they are now, and where they’re heading.  The
Digital Scholarship Center (DiSC) at George Mason University Libraries is an
expansion of GMU’s previous Data Services Group. The Data Services Group
typically provided consultations on numeric, geospatial, qualitative data and
software, and research data management issues. However, more and more requests
for help expanded into questions surrounding digital scholarship related
methods such as text mining, troubleshooting project-based code (such as R and
python), and digital humanities-based tools. A library-wide digital scholarship
committee was formed which was tasked with investigating and recommending what
needed to be done to create a Digital Scholarship Center. Most of the
recommendations from the committee’s final report were implemented. As a
result, DiSC includes Data Services along with support for digital humanities
and digital projects. While the new DiSC unit received additional staffing
through graduate assistants, we sought to fill other staffing holes by working
toward cross-unit collaboration. Our experience working with students, staff,
and faculty on projects has informed future goals for the unit and for the
libraries more broadly.

The University Libraries at UNC-Greensboro are in the early stages of
establishing a defined suite of digital scholarship services ranging from
online exhibits (Omeka) to data visualization and enterprise-level mapping
(ArcGIS). The initiative began organically over a decade ago as the Libraries
Web Development Unit began working with researchers across campus on digital
projects on a case-by-case basis. Over time, this developed into a small,
internal annual grant from which the Libraries selects a number of projects to
take on annually, in order to both control the number of project commitments
without additional resources and to better assess digital scholarship needs
across campus.

WEBINAR:  ASERL Digital Scholarship Show & Tell webinar #1:  George Mason Univ
& UNC Greensboro
DATE / TIME:  June 6, 2018  |  2pm ET / 1pm Central Time
REGISTER:  https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/63069476156307458

These sessions are available at no cost to ASERL members and guests, and will
be recorded for later playback.  Please feel free to share this information
with other librarians & staff who may be interested.  Our webinars are licensed
under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
License.  After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the webinar.
System Requirements:

 We hope this proves to be of interest.  Please let me know any questions or if
you encounter difficulties with our e-meeting system.  Thanks!