WEBINAR: "Charlotte Ebook Initiative: Overview & Next Steps"
From: John Burger (jburgeraserl.org)
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 07:16:13 -0700 (PDT)

ASERL Friends:

We are winding down a busy semester of professional development webinars.  Our last session for 2017 will be "Overview & Next Steps: The Charlotte Ebook Initiative," led by our colleagues at UNC Charlotte's J. Murrey Atkins Library.  As you probably know, over the last two years The Charlotte Initiative for Permanent Acquisition of E-books by Academic Libraries (http://charlotteinitiative.uncc.edu/), a research grant funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, has been studying the current state of e-books in the academic market. At the heart of the project are three core principles proposed for e-book licenses:

  • Provision of irrevocable perpetual access and archival rights.
  • Allowance for unlimited simultaneous users.
  • Freedom from any Digital Rights Management (DRM), including (but not limited to) use of proprietary formats, restricted access to content, or time-limited access terms.

Throughout the life of the grant, groups of librarians, publishers, library vendors, and consortia leaders discussed how these principles effect licensing, user experience, course use, and platform/preservation of content.  Now that the grant period is coming to a close, project leaders will share findings and seek to keep the discussion going among our peers as the market continues to evolve.

WEBINAR:  Overview & Next Steps: The Charlotte Ebook Initiative

DATE / TIME:  December 5, 2017  |  2pm ET / 1pm Central Time

REGISTER:  https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/1492797427870330627

These sessions are available at no cost to ASERL members and guests, and will be recorded for later playback.  Please feel free to share this information with other librarians & staff who may be interested.  Our webinars are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.  After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

System Requirements:  https://link.gotowebinar.com/help-system-requirements-attendees

 We hope this proves to be of interest.  Please let me know any questions or if you encounter difficulties with our e-meeting system.  Thanks!