Statement from ASERL President Yolanda Cooper
From: John Burger (jburgeraserl.org)
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 06:51:25 -0800 (PST)

Greetings,

        In light of recent events in the library community, ASERL reaffirms our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and fostering library environments of courtesy and respect for our library staff and the populations we serve.

        ASERL believes that when libraries tap into the wisdom of a workforce that reflects the populations we serve, we are better able to understand and meet the needs of the students, faculty, staff, alumni, and researchers we serve.  We affirm that we achieve more together because of our differences, not despite them. When libraries apply this pool of knowledge -- when employees are trained in team building, decision-making, problem solving, and conflict resolution -- we provide better, more interesting, innovative services to each other and to our patrons.

        Moreover, ASERL strives to provide collaborative experiences free from all forms of harassment, and inclusive of all people.  We will not tolerate harassment within our community.  Our Diversity & Inclusion Values Statement and our Code of Conduct further support our desire to build programming and environments that support diversity, equity, and inclusion.

ASERL Diversity & Inclusion Values Statement:  http://www.aserl.org/aserl_diversity-inclusion_programming_statement_final/

ASERL Code of Conduct:  http://www.aserl.org/aserl_code_of_conduct/

Yolanda Cooper

President, Board of Directors