Re: Guidelines for Management and Disposition of FDL Collections in the SE
From: Cheryle Cole-Bennett (ccole-bennettaserl.org)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 10:35:45 -0700 (PDT)

Good afternoon,

Thank you all for your patience as we drafted this summary of the revisions that have been made to the Guidelines.  Due to the delay, I am also extending the comment/review period through Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Most of the revisions to the Guidelines were to update word tense to reflect the transition from a plan that was in an “implementation” phase in 2012 to one that has now become operationalized.  You may also notice that some segments that had detailed the process for implementation have been removed from the body of the document and added within the footnotes to retain historical perspective.

Substantive changes:

  • To reduce the number of comprehensive COE collections that we expect to be established in the southeast from two, to one.  While we continue to see new COEs join the program and additional agencies/subjects/formats chosen, our initial goal has proven to be an ambitious one.  Even with the reduction in number of collections, this will continue to be a major effort requiring many years to accomplish.

  • The section on the ASERL Disposition Database (page 10 original document) which detailed the stages of the disposition process (access during the 45 day cycle), along with the section detailing the disposition priorities by library (page 11 of original) and the needs list processing priorities (page 15 original) were combined.  These sections basically duplicated information in paragraph form across three sections and this information was consolidated into a single chart for clarity.

  • The section on shipping charges (page 14 original) was expanded to provide stronger guidance on the expectations regarding responsibility for charges.  The initial intent of this section did not change.

  • Section VIII.  ASERL Deans’ FDLP Task Force was changed to “Governance” to address the overall governance committees/actions for the program.

  • A new Section IX.  “Administration” was added to address the ongoing operations of the program.

There were also a few items that had been identified in the original Guidelines for which, to date, no coordinated action has taken place.  You may expect to see additional information on these “Action Items” in the future:

  • Retention of Superseded Publications (page 4 original) indicates that there will be a voluntary review of superseded items and a determination of which Regional Libraries already have a significant historical collection and are willing to expand them into comprehensive, cataloged sets.  Selective libraries may also be enlisted in support of this initiative.

  • Substitution of Microfiche and Commercial Products (page 5 original) ? a section was added to distinguish between dual distribution and sole distribution.  This section also indicates a voluntary review of dual distribution items and commercial products that may have been substituted for official print publications to determine which Depository Libraries already have significant historical collections of official print items and are willing to expand them into comprehensive sets.

  • Borrowing and Lending ? no change was made to this section, though there was some question as to whether the paragraph pertaining to the fee waiver is taking place, and how a requesting library indicates an item as a federal government document.

  • State Plans (page 19 original) ? the FDLP Dean’s committee had identified the need to review existing State Plans for states in the Southeast Region and adjust them, if necessary, so they do not conflict with this Implementation Plan.

  • Additionally, the CFDP Steering Committee plans a review of the supporting documentation on the program website to ensure it is in line with the Guidelines; the best practices in 2012 may not necessarily be the best practices for 2018.

Again, if I can answer any questions or be of assistance, please let me know!