Coming soon! Enhancements to the ASERL Disposition Database
From: Cheryle Cole-Bennett (ccole-bennettaserl.org)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 05:51:25 -0700 (PDT)

Good morning ASERL Friends,

I want to share information on two important enhancements that are in development for the ASERL Disposition Database.  The CFDP Steering Committee has been investigating options for sharing Needs lists and Expired Offers from the ASERL Disposition Database with FDLP eXchange under development by GPO.

Our first effort will focus on Needs Lists:  This enhancement will allow any library that has created a Needs list in the ASERL Disposition Database to export their own Needs lists in a csv file template.

Libraries using the ASERL Disposition Database, particularly our COE libraries, have spent considerable time and energy building Needs lists in the database ? some are quite extensive.  The enhancement is to repurpose these data for importing into FDLP eXchange.  This will eliminate duplication of effort and promote the use of the FDLP eXchange database in identifying and filling gaps in these important collections at the national level.

Please know:

         The User conducts the export ? determining both the records that are exported and those chosen for import into FDLP eXchange.  You will have control of what gets imported into FDLP eXchange.

         The export template will be designed to match the FDLP eXchange Needs template (http://bit.ly/2uCOvWN) so that minimal editing will be required to import the file.

         Recommendations for formatting the Needs export template will be provided when the enhancement is implemented.

After the release of the Needs export functionality, an export for Expired Offers will follow:  This enhancement will allow any library that has posted Offers to the ASERL Disposition Database to export a list of their offers that have not been claimed within the 45 day cycle as they may desire.

The CFDP Program Guidelines do not require the posting of offers to the national list  ? however, it does recommend that rare or otherwise significant publications that are not selected by libraries within the Southeast Region should be included in the national Needs (Page 13).

Again, please know:

         The User conducts the export ? determining both the records that are exported and those chosen for import into FDLP eXchange.

         The export template will be designed to match the FDLP eXchange Offers template (http://bit.ly/2ivIIgN) so that minimal editing will be required to import the file.

         The default export will incorporate a date filter for expired offers with a publication date prior to 1907.  The option to export a list of all expired offers will also be available.

         Recommendations for formatting the Offers export template will be provided when the enhancement is implemented.

Timeline for implementation:  We anticipate the implementation of both of these enhancements to be completed by the end of October 2017.

I want to take this opportunity to thank our colleagues at the University of Florida for hosting the ASERL Disposition Database and for providing the programming and technical support that continues to make this a valuable resource for depository libraries in the Southeast.  And our thanks to Lisa Russell at GPO for her assistance in testing our process to ensure a smooth interface between these two systems.

If I can provide additional information or be of assistance, please ask!