ASERL review of GPO's "National Plan for FDLP"
From: John Burger (jburgeraserl.org)
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 10:20:16 -0700 (PDT)

ASERL Friends:

As you know, GPO released a draft “National Plan for FDLP” at this Depository Library Conference last week.  Details about the National Plan are just now coming in to us.  The ASERL Deans’ FDLP Committee, chaired by Dean Julia Rholes at the University of Mississippi, is attempting to schedule a conference call next week to review this new GPO proposal and discuss how it might impact ASERL’s regional archiving strategy for legacy print federal documents.  We are pleased to report that GPO leadership has already reached out to us to invite discussion of their proposal.

After the Deans’ FDLP Committee has time to review the proposal, we will communicate our reactions to this proposal to deans/directors and documents librarians to seek your comments.  We hope this community-inclusive process will result in a statement that reflects a clear, concise message from ASERL about the strengths and challenges (if any) regarding GPO’s proposed National Plan for FDLP.

All of this is to say:

1.    We are reviewing the new proposal from GPO.

2.    We’ll communicate our initial comments on the proposed National Plan broadly within ASERL and seek input from Deans/Directors and documents librarians.

3.    We ask that you allow us time to undertake this process before submitting any comments from your individual libraries/librarians.

Please let me, Julia Rholes, or Judy Russell know any questions.  Thanks for your assistance and understanding.

   Box 90182  /  411 Chapel Drive
   125 Bostock Library
   Durham, NC 27708
   919-681-2531 – telephone