Re: gov docs in storage
From: Romans, Larry (larry.romansVanderbilt.Edu)
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 10:22:40 -0700 (PDT)

More than half of our Central Library  collection is in an off-site storage a couple of miles from campus, and almost all of those documents are catalogued.  Requests made before 10:30 AM arrive in the afternoon mail; requests made after 10:30 AM come in the next morning’s mail. That can be speeded up if necessary.  Given that we have ProQuest government information everything, our use of print both from storage and in our on-site collection is down significantly. Maps are housed in our Science and Engineering library, which is in the building next to ours. (Central Library covers the humanities and social sciences.) Our biggest problem is that our storage facility is virtually filled, so we can add only about 50 shelves a year to storage.

An ASERL seminar on best practices for storing documents offsite would be useful.

Larry

Larry Romans,

Vanderbilt University Central Library

Nashville, TN 37203-2427