Revised draft ASERL Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Survey
From: John Burger (jburgeraserl.org)
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 10:11:39 -0800 (PST)
Dear DEI Committee Members:

Here's the revised text of the survey, based on the feedback I heard from the
group last week in Atlanta.  Please review & comment.  Have I missed anything?
I would like to send this to the Diversity Coordinators Working Group for their
on Friday or Monday, so the final version can be distributed to ASERL Deans by
December 15 as we had announced.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

INTRODUCTION
ASERL members believe that when libraries tap into the wisdom of a workforce
that reflects the populations we serve, we are better able to understand and
meet the needs of the students, faculty, staff, alumni, and researchers we
serve. ASERL members further believe we must make our workplaces, collections,
and services more inclusive. ASERL libraries commit to make every employee feel
welcomed and motivated to work optimally in service to our users and
communities. We affirm that we achieve more together because of our
differences, not despite them.

We seek one reply per institution to the following, with sign-off by the
library dean/director to ensure it reflects her/his desired priorities.

QUESTIONS
Q1. What kind(s) of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) programming have you
found to be successful in your library/campus?  Please describe briefly.

Q2. Please select the top 5 DEI-related issues that your library is facing.
(NB:  These answers will display in random order for survey takers, except for
the "other" option at the end of the list.)
      *   Retaining a diverse workforce
      *   Attracting / Recruiting a diverse workforce
      *   Ensuring accessibility for diverse populations
      *   Creating sensitive descriptions for archival collections, exhibits,
etc
      *   Providing training to foster a culturally competent workforce
      *   Creating leadership opportunities for mid-career staff/librarians
      *   Creating public programming/outreach for Diversity, Equity, and
Inclusion issues
      *   Developing collections for diverse communities of users
      *   Providing welcoming environments / safe spaces for diverse communities
      *   Other (please specify)

Q3. How would you like ASERL to address your top issues as a consortium?  What
DEI initiatives would you like to see moved to the ASERL level?

Q4. What local, regional, or national programs should ASERL consider for
potential partnerships?

Q5. Your name
Q6. Your Institution
Q7. Your email address