Revisions to ASERL Diversity & Inclusion Survey
From: John Burger (jburgeraserl.org)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 18:09:33 -0800 (PST)
For your review & comment:  Here are my revisions based on our conversation
over lunch today.

Preface

ASERL Diversity & Inclusion -- Environmental Scan 2018-19 ASERL members believe
that when libraries tap into the wisdom of a workforce that reflects the
populations we serve, we are better able to understand and meet the needs of
the students, faculty, staff, alumni, and researchers we serve. ASERL members
further believe we must make our workplaces, collections, and services more
inclusive. ASERL libraries commit to make every employee feel welcomed and
motivated to work optimally in service to our communities. We affirm that we
achieve more together because of our differences, not despite them.

As our first steps in this arena, this survey focuses on issues of concern to
our member libraries as related to library staffing, and how ASERL as a
consortium may be able to assist its members.  We seek one reply per
institution, with sign-off by the library dean/director.

For your review & comment:  Here are my revisions based on our conversation
over lunch today.

1. What kind(s) of D&I programming have you found to be successful in your
library/campus?  Please describe briefly.

2. Please RANK the issues that your library is facing.

                Recruiting a diverse workforce

               Retaining a diverse workforce

               Training for a diverse workforce

               Managing collections for a diverse user population

               Creating sensitive descriptions for archival collections,
exhibits, etc

               Creating leadership opportunities for mid-career staff/librarians

               Creating public programming/outreach for Equity & Diversity
issues

               Ensuring accessibility for diverse populations

3. Is there an issue you would include in the list above that is not included
on our list?  If so, please describe it here.

4. How would you like ASERL to address your top priority issues as a
consortium?  What diversity initiatives would you like to see moved to the
ASERL level?

5. What local, regional, or national programs should ASERL consider for
potential partnerships?

6. Your name

7. Your Institution

8. Your email address